Jerry L. Carlton
Jerry L. Carlton has over 40 years of experience representing owners and managers of multifamily properties and commercial properties, along with other small business owners and entrepreneurs. Conditions impacting these clients are constantly evolving, requiring novel, INNOVATIVE approaches. Evictions, landlord-tenant disputes, fair housing and employment discrimination claims, COVID-19 compliance, employment, construction, vendor/customer, bankruptcy and mold claims are only a few examples of the challenges Jerry undertakes on behalf of his clients.
• University of Houston Law Center
• University of Texas at Austin
Bachelor of Journalism
• United States Supreme Court
• U.S. Court of Appeals (5th Circuit)
• U.S. District Courts (all Texas districts)
• U.S. Bankruptcy Court (all Texas districts)
Jerry advocates for and advises clients on a multitude of topics, including evictions, landlord-tenant disputes, fair housing and employment discrimination claims, COVID-19 compliance, employment, construction, vendor/customer, bankruptcy and mold claims. Growing up on a dairy farm in West Texas and co-founding a business with his daughter that grew to 40 employees in only four years, Jerry applies deeply personal business insight to every case he handles, and truly understands his clients’ challenges. He speaks regularly to North Texas professional apartment associations and serves as one of only five members of the Legal Counsel Advisory Council of the Texas Apartment Association.
• Representation on fair housing and discrimination claims before HUD, state and local fair housing enforcement agencies and federal court, handling claims based on disability, familial status, sex, race, national origin and other protected classes.
• eviction trials and appeals
• COVID-19 issues – compliance with CARES Act, CDC order, Texas Supreme Court emergency orders, City of Dallas notice of possible eviction ordinance procedures, local court procedures
• COVID-19 eviction procedures – representation and advice for trials and hearings, including CDC declaration challenges; client education and procedures training
• landlord/tenant disputes and lawsuits
• security deposit
• creditor counsel in tenant bankruptcy
• mold claims
• preparing and reviewing policies and practices
• custom training and education
• construction contracts, disputes and litigation
• vendor/customer contracts, disputes and litigation
• employment law, including contracts, litigation and discrimination claims
Publications / Presentations:
• Many columns and articles for Rooflines, the monthly magazine of the Apartment Association of Greater Dallas, on property management and ownership, landlord tenant, employment and other legal issues
• Article for Units, the monthly magazine of the National Apartment Association
• Columns for Dallas Chapter of the Institute of Real Estate Management newsletter
• Texas Apartment Association
• REDBOOK and other legal update seminars for local apartment associations in Texas.
• Texas Apartment Association Legal Symposium
• New Justice Court Eviction Rules
• Tenant Bankruptcy Issues
• Case Law Update
• Constitutionality of Alternative Service
• Judges Panel Moderator
• Texas Apartment Association
• State Education Conference – Legal Liability and Risk Exposures for Owners (2004-2005).
• State Education Conference – Emerging Legal Issues (2008 and 2014)
• State Education Conference – Mock Trial (2016, 2017, 2018)
• State Education Conference – Tenant Move Out Issues (2016)
• Texas Apartment Association Webinars
• Animals and Disability Reasonable Accommodation Issues – Fair Housing (2016)
• TAA Lease Analysis and Explanation for Owners and Managers
• National Apartment Association (Education Conference – Business on the Internet Legal Issues)
• Apartment Association of Greater Dallas, including presentations to general membership, legal services program membership, satellite groups in Irving, Denton; Independent Rental Owners’ Council; legal segment for NAA CAM and other certification programs. 25+ presentations.
• 2011-20 AAGD Example Presentations
• Webinar – Eviction Lessons and Tips.
• Live Program – All About Eviction Appeals and Pauper’s Affidavits.
• Live Program – Hot Employment Issues – Property Supervisors Group.
• Live Program – Bed Bugs – Denton Satellite.
• Live Q&A; – Bed Bugs – Irving Satellite.
• Webinar – Eviction Appeals and Pauper’s Affidavits
• Live Program – New Texas Rules of Civil Procedure for Justice Court and Evictions
• Live Program – Evictions – 3 hour program (2014-2017)
• Live Program – Security Deposits – 3 hour program (2015-16)
• Live Program and Webinar – Tenant Bankruptcy (2014-2016)
• Live Program – Fair Housing Cases Update
• Live Program – Handgun Issues (2016)
• Live Program – Towing Issues – Denton Satellite (2016)
• Live Program – Mock Trial – IROC (2018)
• Live Program – Winning Evictions and Dealing with Bankruptcies (2019)
• Webinar – Lease With The Best -TAA Lease (2019)
• Webinar – Eviction Law Update – COVID-19 Issues – Panelist (2020)
• Webinar – Evictions and Tenant Bankruptcies (2020)
• Dallas Claims Association.
• Mothers Against Drunk Driving (national conference – employment law issues).
• National United Salon Owners Association (business legal issues).
• Wholesale Dealers Association (contract legal issues).
• Texas Association of Business Brokers – Dallas chapter (employment issues in sale of business)
• Exit Planning Institute, North Texas Chapter (employment agreement issues – planning for sale of business (October 2016)
• State Bar of Texas
Real Estate, Employment, Litigation, Business, Computer and Technology Sections
• Apartment Association of Greater Dallas
Founding member of Apartment Association of Greater Dallas Legal Services Program – 1995 to Present
Member AAGD Legislative Committee 2013-16
• Texas Apartment Association
Legal Counsel Advisory Council (one of 5 attorneys in Texas)
• National Apartment Association
• Dallas Academy (a private school for children with learning disabilities founded by former Dallas mayor Wallace Savage)
Former Board Chair and Vice-chair, Board Member for 17 years, including serving on the board and as legal counsel on two major construction campaigns and developments
• City of Dallas
Board for Judicial Appointments
• City of Garland
Board for Golf Course Development
• Prestonwood Homeowners Association
• Richardson Area Young Life Committee